The new Appendix Youth Mobility Scheme comes into effect on 1st January 2022 and now includes Indian and Icelandic nationals aged between 18 – 30.
This will allow Icelandic and Indian nationals the opportunity to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years. This cultural exchange programme was previously limited to nationals from British Overseas citizen, British Overseas Territories citizen or British National (Overseas), or a national of Australia, Canada, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korean and Taiwan.
This scheme allows qualifying applicants to look for and undertake employment in the UK without sponsorship. This route does not lead to settlement and is not extended to dependents, however there may be the option to switch into the Skilled Worker visa category if an employment with a licenced sponsor is offered. Applicants can only hold this visa once.
Like all other UK immigration routes, there are requirements which need to be met. In summary, they are :
- Applicants must be between 18 to 30 years old at the time of application.
- Applicants must apply for entry clearance in the home country or country of normal residence before their arrival.
- Any fee and Immigration Health Charge must have been paid
- Biometric information, a valid passport or other travel documents must be provided.
- Applicants must have a clean immigration history and be of good character.
- Applicants must provide a TB certificate where applicable. Please note that general COVID entry requirements will also apply.
- Applicants must have funds of £2,350 held for a 28-day period.
- Applicants must hold passports issued by Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, Monaco, Taiwan, Hong Kong or the Republic of Korea, San Marino, Iceland or India, British Overseas Citizen, British Overseas Territories Citizen or British National (Overseas)
Additional Requirements for Indian Citizens
Indian citizens can meet the additional Youth Mobility Scheme requirement through:
- Applicants must hold a qualification equal to or above RQF level 6
- Proof of this qualification is mandatory. This can be written confirmation from the issuing institution that the applicant has successfully completed their studies and graduated with the required qualification.
- Applicants must have a minimum of three years’ work experience in a professional role equivalent to an eligible occupation listed in Appendix Skilled Occupations.
- Proof of work experience can be formal payslips from the applicant’s employer. The applicant’s job title and employer’s name must be evident.
- A letter from the applicant’s employer, confirming the payslips are authentic. This must be on company letterhead and signed by a senior official.
Indian citizens will be able to apply on the Youth Mobility Scheme route following the operation of the invitation to apply arrangements which is essentially a ballot scheme. The Nathanson Partnership will provide a further update once the first India ballot is ready to launch.
If the applicant meets the criteria, a Youth Mobility Scheme visa will be granted for up to 2 years. Successful applicants will not have access to public funds and cannot work as a professional sports person or study under this visa route.
Please contact us for full details and information.