UK Expansion Worker visa (Global Business Mobility)

The UK Expansion Worker visa is for those coming to the UK on behalf of an overseas company to set up a branch in the UK. Applicants must already be working for the overseas company (for a cumulative period of 12 months) as a senior manager or a specialist employee and the business should not yet have started trading in the UK.

If the company has already started conducting business activity in the UK, the applicant will not be able to apply for this visa and instead will need to apply through another route such as the Skilled Worker route.

What are the requirements for the Expansion Worker visa?

 Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS)

In order to be eligible for this visa, you will need a valid CoS from your employer who must be a licenced sponsor for the UK. The CoS will need to detail the job that you are required to do and the salary, as well as the start date which should be no more than 3 months after the date of application. You must be genuinely required to do the role and will be refused a visa if the Home Office believes that the role is a sham.

Do an eligible job at a required skill level

You will need to do a role that is on the Home Office list of eligible occupations at the required minimum skill level which is at least RQF Level 6.

Salary requirement

Each occupation (and accompanying 4-digit occupation code) comes with its own minimum salary requirements which the Home Office calls “going rates.” The salary requirement for this visa is an annual income of £42,400 or the “going rate” for the role, whichever is higher. The going rates can be found on the Home Office list of going rates for eligible occupations.

Financial requirement

In order to meet the financial requirement, applicants must have at least £1270 of funds available to show that they can support themselves in the UK. They must have held this for a period of at least 28 days. Although, those who are extending visas or applying from within the UK will not need to meet this requirement if they have been in the UK for a minimum of 12 months.

Which documents do I need to apply for the Expansion Worker visa?

You will need to provide your certificate of sponsorship, bank statements to show evidence of savings, TB test results if you are from a country on the list. You will also need to provide evidence of working for your employer abroad such as payslips and bank statements.

How much does it cost?

The Expansion Worker visa application costs £259 and the healthcare surcharge payment is £624 per year.

How long can you stay on this visa?

Your visa will be granted for 1 year and can be extended for another year. After this, you will either need to leave the UK or apply for another visa.

What can you do on this visa?

On this visa, you can work, study and do voluntary work. You can also bring your partner and children as your dependants.

Please contact us for any guidance or advice on this visa route.