Skip to main content
updated March 2023

The Government Authorised Exchange (GAE) visa is for those who want to come to the UK for a short period on a temporary basis for work experience, training, an Overseas Government Language Programme, research or a fellowship through an approved government authorised exchange scheme. 

Who Can Apply for the Government Authorised Exchange Visa?

In order to be eligible for the Government Authorised Exchange (GAE) visa you’ll need to be sponsored by a UK company that is registered as a licenced sponsor. The company will give you a certificate of sponsorship (CoS) which is a reference number that you will need when making the application. The CoS will provide details about the reason the company is sponsoring you, your start and end dates, and other information about you the applicant. 

If you are applying for this visa through an approved government-authorised exchange scheme, you must make sure that the authorising scheme is on the Home Office list

In addition, you will need to show that you are able to support yourself in the UK by holding at least £1270 in your bank account for at least 28 days continuously. If you have been in the UK on a valid visa for at least 12 months, you will not need to meet this requirement.

Who Can Sponsor Me for the GAE Visa?

For the GAE visa, you will need to be sponsored by a registered UK sponsor company which must be one of the following:

  • An organisation running an approved exchange scheme
  • A higher education institution (if you are a sponsored researcher, visiting academic or examiner)
  • A government department or agency

How Long Can You Stay in the UK on the GAE visa?

The amount of time you can stay in the UK on the GAE visa depends on the scheme you apply for. You can get a visa for a maximum period of either 10 months, 12 months or 24 months. 

How Can The Nathanson Partnership Help You?

At The Nathanson Partnership, we can help you apply for your Government Authorised Exchange visa. Our friendly experts have years of immigration experience and can advise you on exactly what you need to meet the visa requirements. 

Please contact us for a free initial assessment with our qualified and experienced UK immigration advisors.

Contact Our Expert Spouse Visa Immigration Professionals

The Nathanson Partnership is made up of regulated immigration professionals providing immigration advice that is accurate and reliable. We are fully accredited by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) which means that we must adhere to high-quality immigration service standards. 

We are proud to represent a range of clients that value our clear, transparent, and practical advice. We understand that the UK immigration system can be confusing which is why we use our expertise to help our clients understand what they need to do to secure their visas. 

If you need assistance with your partner visa application, our team of specialists are here to help you. 

Please contact us today on 020 3476 9523 or email us at [email protected]



How Long Does It Take To Get the GAE Visa?

You must be aware that it will take some time to gather the required documents for the visa. You can apply for the GAE visa up to 3 months before the start date on your certificate of sponsorship. Once you have applied, you may need to attend an appointment. After you have submitted your application, attended the appointment, and provided proof of identity and the required documents, it will take around 3 weeks for your visa to process if you are applying from outside of the UK and 8 weeks if you are applying inside the UK. 

Can I Bring My Dependants On the GAE Visa?

Yes, you can bring your dependant children, your husband, wife, civil partner, or unmarried partner to the UK with you. However, you will need to prove your relationship with them and also further proof of funds to support both you and your family in the UK. You’ll need to show an extra £285 for your partner, £315 for one child, and £200 for each additional child. 

Do I Need To Meet An English Language Requirement for the GAE Visa?

No, you will not need to prove a certain English language level for this visa. 


Please contact us today on 020 3476 9523 or email us at [email protected]


Image by Sigmund on unsplash